New faces at Ottery Football Club
OTTERY Football Club s new chairman wants to herald in an era of local teams pulling together to benefit all as he begin his tenure in the town.
OTTERY Football Club's new chairman wants to herald in an era of local teams "pulling together to benefit all" as he begin his tenure in the town.
Brian Barnden was elected into the role at an extraordinary general meeting last Friday, and has set his sights on appointing a new manager and treasurer at the club.
Mr Barnden said he was excited and "looking forward to the challenge."
"My main aim is to make Ottery a competitive SWPL side within the financial constraints of the club," he told the Herald.
"We have several users of the (Butts Road) site such as Tipton and Ottery Youth. The objective is to make sport more pleasant up there for all of them and pulling together in the same direction so we all benefit."
Arthur Murdock was elected vice chairman and Clare Walker took over as secretary from Alison Gannon on a temporary basis at the meeting.
- 1 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 2 Opinion: 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 3 South West Water on the look-out for new graduate trainees
- 4 Property of the Week: Lower Broad Oak Road, West Hill
- 5 SRC joins battle of Woodbury Common, Oh My Obelisk and the Sir Walter Round
- 6 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth
- 7 'We'll have to put up with roadworks for a few weeks'
- 8 Girlguiding achievements celebrated at church service
- 9 Lethal Wasps produce five-star display
- 10 Arrows flying straight in the Sidmouth Darts League
A new committee was also elected, with re-standing being joined by new additions. Representatives from Tipton St John FC and Ottery Youth will also sit on the committee.
Former Ottery FC chairman Greg Layzell stood down after three years.
"If people hadn't of come forward then we'd of had a problem," he said.
"I'm relieved and happy that someone else has taken it on and the club is still moving forward."
He thanked the committee, its officers and managers who helped him during his tenure, adding: "I wish them well for the future."
The club is now the lookout for a treasurer and a manager. Anyone interested in filling the vacancies can contact Brian on 07891 243944.