New group helps stroke survivors get back on their feet
- Credit: Archant
A new group for stroke survivors in Ottery is going from strength to strength after a successful appeal for people to take part.
Terry Hounsom, who ran East Devon Stroke at the dance studio, said he decided to put together a new group after enquiries following a plea in the Ottery Herald.
He had previously been in charge of Survivors, a similar group in Sidmouth, but the Ottery sessions had stopped because not enough people were coming along.
However, the recent interest has convinced him to restart it, and he said the recovery groups have a range of benefits to stroke survivors and their carers.
It started again at Ottery sports centre in February, offering professionally supervised fitness classes for anyone with mobility problems.
You may also want to watch:
Terry said: “This is a friendly, pro-active self-help group for stroke survivors and other disabled people, and their carers.
“Professionally supervised, regular exercise, in a group of similarly afflicted members, can add so much quality of life, not only in therapeutic improvements, but also from the beneficial feelings of exercise and in the mutual support and camaraderie of other stroke affected members.”
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 7 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
He said there is already a congenial atmosphere and enthusiasm, and anyone who wants to join can take part in a free trial session.
“Our previous group folded because of irregular attendance by members left me subsidising the shortfall,” Terry said.
He said the new group’s current core members have elected to pay monthly running costs up front to avoid it closing again.
At current membership levels the cost is £28 per person per month, but the figure will decrease if more stroke sufferers want to take part in the sessions.
The group meet in the balcony area of the Ottery sports centre in Cadhay Lane every Friday, from 2.30 pm to 3.30pm.
For more information call Terry Hounsom on 01395 576736 or visit www.eastdevonstroke.co.uk.