New group helps stroke survivors get back on their feet
- Credit: Archant
A new group for stroke survivors in Ottery is going from strength to strength after a successful appeal for people to take part.
Terry Hounsom, who ran East Devon Stroke at the dance studio, said he decided to put together a new group after enquiries following a plea in the Ottery Herald.
He had previously been in charge of Survivors, a similar group in Sidmouth, but the Ottery sessions had stopped because not enough people were coming along.
However, the recent interest has convinced him to restart it, and he said the recovery groups have a range of benefits to stroke survivors and their carers.
It started again at Ottery sports centre in February, offering professionally supervised fitness classes for anyone with mobility problems.
You may also want to watch:
Terry said: “This is a friendly, pro-active self-help group for stroke survivors and other disabled people, and their carers.
“Professionally supervised, regular exercise, in a group of similarly afflicted members, can add so much quality of life, not only in therapeutic improvements, but also from the beneficial feelings of exercise and in the mutual support and camaraderie of other stroke affected members.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 5 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 6 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
He said there is already a congenial atmosphere and enthusiasm, and anyone who wants to join can take part in a free trial session.
“Our previous group folded because of irregular attendance by members left me subsidising the shortfall,” Terry said.
He said the new group’s current core members have elected to pay monthly running costs up front to avoid it closing again.
At current membership levels the cost is £28 per person per month, but the figure will decrease if more stroke sufferers want to take part in the sessions.
The group meet in the balcony area of the Ottery sports centre in Cadhay Lane every Friday, from 2.30 pm to 3.30pm.
For more information call Terry Hounsom on 01395 576736 or visit www.eastdevonstroke.co.uk.