New headteacher at St John’s School, Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
St John’s international school in Sidmouth has started the new year with a new headteacher.
Graham Hurrell has taken over from Caroline Ward, who taught at the school for 11 years and was headteacher for the last two.
Mr Hurrell has travelled widely and taught in international education establishments in Barcelona and Tenerife, as well as taking leadership positions in Argentina, Uruguay, Ecuador, USA and Egypt.
He has been closely involved with the International Baccalaureate Organisation since 1993.
He is an accredited ski leader and mountain expedition leader.
You may also want to watch:
He also has a post-graduate sports coaching qualification and a strong sporting background.
Mr Hurrell said he has a passion for lifelong, internationally-minded learning.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
"As parents, we all want our children to be independent thinkers, to express themselves confidently in more than one language and to collaborate effectively while making reasoned, ethical decisions," he said.
"We expect them to be open-minded and appreciate the culture, values and traditions of others, to show empathy, compassion and respect while making a positive difference in issues of local and global significance."
St John's offers a discount to families living within 15 miles of the school and is currently inviting applications for children entering Year 4 and above in September 2020 to apply for the Academic and Sports Scholarships Day on Tuesday, February 4.