New hope for Branscombe housing
THERE is new hope for affordable housing in Branscombe as a company has taken on the role of the Rural Housing Trust which recently folded. As previously reported in the Herald, RHT- which was identifying sites in the village for affordable housing- annou
THERE is new hope for affordable housing in Branscombe as a company has taken on the role of the Rural Housing Trust which recently folded.
As previously reported in the Herald, RHT- which was identifying sites in the village for affordable housing- announced in January it was to "wind down" all activity.
But Hastoe Housing Association, a specialist rural housing provider, has now taken over this responsibility and it is hoped that more affordable housing in Branscombe will become a reality.
A spokesman for Hastoe Housing Association said: "HHA has taken on the pipeline developments of the Rural Housing Trust following the Trust's decision to cease developing.
"Branscombe is one of a portfolio of potential communities where there is an identified need for social housing.
"As yet, there are no plans in place for a specific development but we will be looking to work with the local community, parish councillors, East Devon District Council and local landowners to meet the needs of local people."
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 6 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 7 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 8 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Programme of concerts set to delight classical-music lovers
There has been a lot of interest in affordable housing by younger people, as demonstrated at an information day held in the village by RHT last year, but plans were very much in the early stages.
John Bass, chairman of Branscombe Parish Council, said: "We haven't heard anything from Hastoe as a parish council since RHT handed all our stuff over to them. We are at the moment in a state of limbo.
"The housing survey, conducted by RHT, found that there was a need for affordable housing in Branscombe and it will be a shame if we can't get something up and running so that we can keep the youngsters in the village.
"The district council has earmarked some parcels of land in conjunction with the parish council to see whether it is feasible-some are better than others. As of yet we haven't wanted to go down the road of approaching people to say will you or wont you- it is not really at that stage.