New law to limit who can use traveller sites
- Credit: Archant
New rules cracking down on who will be able to use 37 new traveller sites planned for East Devon came into force this week.
The measures are intended to ensure that only those with a ‘genuine travelling lifestyle’ will be able to use the new pitches.
This comes as East Devon District Council (EDDC) continues to consult on a development plan document for gypsy and traveller accommodation.
EDDC has been told by Whitehall to earmark sites and the authority has to find 22 pitches and up to five ‘emergency’ stopping places within five years.
The final total of 37 sites is expected to be developed within 20 years.
You may also want to watch:
The authority has already earmarked £500,000 for the scheme. The new law is part of a wider crackdown on unauthorised occupation of sites, to ensure all communities are required to abide by the same planning rules.
The Department for Communities and Local Government says that, between 2000 and 2009, there was a four-fold increase in the numbers of caravans on unauthorised sites – creating tensions between travellers and the residents.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
The new policy means any application for a permanent site, including caravan sites, by someone who does not travel will be considered in the same way as an application from the settled population – rather than being considered under policies relating to travellers.
The changes also give further protection to areas like the East Devon AONB.
Housing Minister Brandon Lewis said: “Unauthorised traveller sites can blight communities, causing misery and creating resentment that planning rules don’t seem to be applied fairly.
“[This] revised planning policy clearly sets out the protection against unauthorised occupation and that the rules apply fairly to every community equally.”