New Ottregians’ �5k for Hospiscare
THEATRICAL exploits by two plucky groups of Ottery volunteers have boosted Hospiscare by a whopping �5,066.
The New Ottregians and the Otter Vale Friends of Hospiscare this week celebrated a bumper charity haul after a debut showing of Jane Eyre The Musical proved a smash hit.
Both groups teamed up for the show’s July run at The King’s School, with Hospiscare members’ front of house efforts matching New Ottregians’ on-stage antics.
“To find words for this is very difficult. There are two words in English that say it all; thank you,” said Geoff Beck, chairman of the Otter Vale Friends of Hospiscare as he received the cheque. Show director Helena Williams-Pugh praised her cast of volunteers who gave up their time and talents for free and made their own costumes.
“They do it better than professionals,” she said, “The amount raised is brilliant, particularly with a show that no one had ever heard of.”
You may also want to watch:
Crew members laboured over a handmade set, that cost just �3, for nine hours. Cash raised will pay for two parish Hospiscare nurses’ salaries for a month
“They can be out in the community to visit all those in need, patients and their families, to see they are as happy as they can be and that is the main thing,” added Mr Beck.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
Working together, both groups have raised nearly �25,000 in seven years. The New Ottregians have raised �58,000 for the cause in their 15 years of existence.