New race from Sidmouth to Beer - and back again - offers ‘ultimate burn’
- Credit: Archant
Runners who think they can handle the ‘ultimate burn’ have a new challenge to take on along the South West Coast Path (SWCP) – the Big Dipper.
Organisers PureTrail plan to push participants to the limit on the 16-mile route from Sidmouth to Beer. But then they have to run back again. Co-director Mark Brooks said: “The concept of the race was initially to take the most precipitous part of the SWCP in the East Devon area and convert it into the most challenging trail race of any that had gone before along this part of the coast.
“There are other races that that use this section of the SWCP, such as The Grizzly – but we wanted to concentrate on the most vertiginous stretch. We wanted the steepest ascents and the most quad-destroying descents to get the ultimate burn. The Big Dipper is really what it says on the tin.”
He said the route has ‘awesome’ views, but also a kilometre of ascent as it moves between coast path and beach.
Mark predicts the winning times will be around two-and-a-half hours, the ‘relentless’ challenge is comparable to a marathon.
You may also want to watch:
The Big Dipper will leave Sidmouth at 11am on Sunday, October 16. Entry starts at £37, with £10 going to upkeep of the SWCP. Participants get t-shirts from PureTrail and the SWCP, plus a medal and a memento. Visit www.puretrail.uk/bigdipper/
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead