New rep company at Manor Pavilion announced
PUBLISHED: 16:23 12 April 2013 | UPDATED: 16:23 12 April 2013
AN award-winning theatre company has been announced as the new resident repertory summer season performer at Sidmouth’s Manor Pavilion.
Paul Taylor Mills Ltd members sealed the deal this week – and immediately paid tribute to the late Charles Vance and colleagues, whose productions graced the venue’s stage for 26 years.
‘World class’ Paul, who has bagged rave reviews at home and abroad, has also vowed a price freeze.
Planned productions from June to September include The Ghost Train, Don’t Dress for Dinner, The 39 Steps, Deathtrap, Blithe Spirit and Stepping Out.
A contract has been signed for the next three summers.
A spokesman for the district council, which runs the theatre, said: “Paul has experience of producing shows both nationally and internationally and brings a wealth of talent and expertise.
“He recently won the Broadway World Award for best regional production and has recently completed a run as associate producer on the UK Tour of The Rise and Fall of Little Voice.
“Having previously worked for Sir Cameron Mackintosh, the preservation of Sidmouth as a centre of artistic excellence remains intact under Paul’s trusted direction.
“Paul brings expertise on a world-class level and Sidmouth audiences are in for a real treat.
Paul said: “I’m absolutely over the moon that the council has entrusted me and my team with the reputation of the Manor Pavilion Theatre Summer Season.
“I have had the most incredible couple of months working with theatre manager Graham Whitlock and the council to make sure we continue to present theatre of the highest possible standards with the best actors, sets and creative teams possible.
“I intend to have a price freeze on last year’s prices as, in times of austerity, it’s more important than ever that people can go to the theatre and be entertained.”
He added: “While we are unbelievably excited, it would be wrong not to mention our great sadness to learn of Charles Vance’s passing.
“We hope to honour the dedication and longevity of the Charles Vance Repertory Company in continuing to present entertainment on a first class level with a new twist.
“This will include a re-vamp of the repertory system so we are able to bring a larger selection of extraordinary talent to the Manor Pavilion, as well as bringing back Sidmouth stalwarts including actor James Pellow.
“Our aim will be to make the summer season a local and national destination of theatrical excellence and most importantly first class entertainment.”
Tickets will go on sale on May 31.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.