New Sidmouth ‘Walk and Talk’ group aims to improve older residents’ wellbeing
- Credit: Brenda Cockett
A new walking group aims to promote physical and emotional health in older people locally, following NHS advice that people who are active have a lower risk of a range of life-threatening conditions.
Two Sidmouth women have launched a new ‘Walk and Talk’ group which aims to promote exercise and wellbeing for older people.
Brenda Cockett and Prue Lambert, both from Sidmouth, came up with the idea of the Walk and Talk initiative while volunteering at the local Cats Protection shop.
Brenda said: “One day, while working in the shop, we talked about a news report on the radio regarding how much the NHS is spending because older people are not exercising enough.”
Learning of the problems this could cause for mobility later in life, they came up with the idea of forming a local walking group to provide exercise and social interaction.
You may also want to watch:
The group is open to all and meets at 10.30am, every Thursday, at the Mustard Seed Cafe, on All Saints Road, Sidmouth.
Walks last a maximum of 45 minutes and are leisurely, avoiding hills and narrow paths.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 8 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 9 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
Information from the NHS states there is strong evidence to suggest that people who are active have a lower risk of heart disease, type-two diabetes, stroke and other life-threatening conditions.
‘Being active’ includes any physical activity that gets the body moving, for example going for a walk, doing some gardening or taking part in a recreational sport.