Newton Pop cooks up a storm for charity
SIZZLING sausages, tasty toast and excellent eggs attracted hungry Newton Poppleford villagers to a charity breakfast event last weekend. More than �300 was raised for cancer charity Force as the village participated in the Great Devon Breakfast on Satur
SIZZLING sausages, tasty toast and excellent eggs attracted hungry Newton Poppleford villagers to a charity breakfast event last weekend.
More than �300 was raised for cancer charity Force as the village participated in the Great Devon Breakfast on Saturday.
Organised by the Newton Poppleford Friends of Force, which was only set up in July, the group's first event was hailed a storming success.
Organiser Helene Hewitt said: "It was brilliant. We thought we would do well if we got 30 people but we got around 50 which was amazing."
The breakfast was cooked by Jean Clarke and seemed to go down a treat judging by the amount of empty plates left.
Helene added: "There was a really good atmosphere and I'm really happy with how it went-although I never want to see a cooked breakfast again!"
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Waves of enthusiasm for Sidmouth Sea Fest
- 3 Fire service appoints former police sergeant as ambassador for road safety initiative
- 4 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 5 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 6 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 7 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 8 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 9 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 10 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
Helene, 37, and her husband, Chris, 40, will be participating in the Heritage Coast Challenge this weekend to raise more money for the charity.
The walk begins in Lyme Regis, ending in Exmouth and the pair are hoping to raise �400.
Helene said: "We are close to �300 in sponsorship now so hopefully we can make another �100."
Anybody wishing to sponsor Helene and Chris can do so by ringing (01395) 567447.