Newton Pop hit by freak floods
SEVERE flooding has affected residents of Newton Poppleford after it was hit by a freak weather storm last night. A number of houses were directly affected by the flooding and emergency services have had to evacuate two houses so far. Peter Day, 21, of Tr
SEVERE flooding has affected residents of Newton Poppleford after it was hit by a freak weather storm last night.
A number of houses were directly affected by the flooding and emergency services have had to evacuate two houses so far.
Peter Day, 21, of Tresco Burrow Lane, Newton Poppleford witnessed one evacuation.
He said: "I saw one fire engine at the scene with two police cars allowing traffic to go through.
You may also want to watch:
"The family was evacuated from their house at about 9.30am.
"Their house was completely flooded- I feel so sorry for them."
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 6 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 7 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 8 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
Many roads are still flooded and emergency services are working hard to alleviate the situation.
Peter added: "I couldn't get to work in Honiton this morning as all of the roads going in that direction are blocked off.
"I went around the back roads to see what it was like and it was much worse than what I first thought.
"Pretty much all of the fields stretching back are flooded and some people couldn't get through the back roads as there was a huge flood.
"The river was in a bad state and had almost overrun onto the road.