Newton Poppleford artists raise grand for air ambulance
Judi Spiers receives boost for local radio Devon Air Ambulance appeal from Newton Poppleford Art Society
POPULAR presenter Judi Spiers has received a bumper-sized cheque from fundraising artists belonging to Newton Poppleford Art Society.
Rosemary Boud, the society’s chairman, presented Judi with �1,033.75 to go towards BBC Radio Devon’s Devon Air Ambulance Appeal to raise �600,000 for a new air ambulance.
The society recently staged its top-quality annual exhibition, and members donated 54 12’’ x 10’’ paintings on the theme of Up, Up and Away, which were on sale for �15 each.
There was a huge range of imaginative and often humorous interpretations, involving balloons, kites, flying pigs, birds, and even a flying turtle.
You may also want to watch:
Funds were swelled by donations from artists’ friends, families and visitors to the exhibition.
Rosemary said: “This year, we decided to support the Radio Devon Air Ambulance Appeal to help raise �600,000 for the cost of a replacement helicopter.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 7 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 8 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 9 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
“We received many compliments from our visitors on the standard of our work and the exhibition was remarkably successful in terms of sales.
“This, together with the fact that we were able to raise such a generous amount of money for a very worthwhile cause, is all very gratifying.”
Caroline Creer, fundraising director for Devon Air Ambulance Trust, said: “We are grateful to all members of Newton Poppleford Art Society for such a successful exhibition and to everyone who went along.
“We have already received funds of �934.75 and would particularly like to thank everyone who gift aided their donation, which will account for a further �88, bringing the total to a fantastic �1,022.”
Since 2007 the art society has raised �4,160 for charity through its annual exhibitions and fundraising events.
*Gift aid allows UK tax payers to boost their donations to charity by 25 percent.