Newton Poppleford couple to serve up Christmas dinner to lonely people
- Credit: Archant
A generous couple are giving up their Christmas Day to offer lonely residents in and around Newton Poppleford a free meal.
David and Rosemary Zirker run the village’s monthly lunch club and want to reach out to those in need over the festive period.
They decided it was ‘too much hassle’ to go around fundraising, so are offering to foot the bill themselves.
The couple are even offering to arrange transport on the day for residents in the Newton Poppleford and Harpford parish.
“Christmas is a time when, if you are on your own, it can be very lonely, especially if you have family who can’t come down,” said David. “We would do a dinner off our own bat.”
You may also want to watch:
The Zirkers took over the lunch club in 2011 and, with their helpers, have since served 2,600 meals and made a profit of £4,200 for the village’s pavilion, where the event is held.
There are already 11 people interested in attending the Christmas dinner. If the number stays as it is, the couple will move it to their home, otherwise it will be held in the pavilion.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 9 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
- 10 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
Anyone interested in attending can contact the Zirkers by calling 01395 567430 or emailing email@example.com.