Man, 30, charged with Newton Poppleford murder
- Credit: Archant
A 30-year-old man from Exmouth has been charged with the murder of a man who died in a caravan fire in Newton Poppleford.
Police have also named the victim as 47-year-old local man Geoffrey Pearce.
Lewis Finch, 30, of Newton Drive, Exmouth, has been charged with murder.
He has been remanded in police custody and will appear before Exeter Magistrates' Court on Saturday (January 11).
DI Lee Nattrass said: "We have now formally identified the body to be that of Mr Pearce and next of kin are aware.
You may also want to watch:
"Given this is now subject to formal court proceedings, we would remind everyone that contempt of court rules apply.
"It is therefore essential that no one speculates about the investigation, particularly on social media.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 9 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
"It is essential that we maintain the fairness and integrity of the court process."
Superintendent Matt Lawler said: "Police activity will continue at the scene in Newton Poppleford and on Cheshire Road in Exmouth.
"This will likely continue into the weekend, however, neighbouring roads and properties will remain unaffected.
"We would like to thank the local community for their co-operation during this enquiry."