Newton Poppleford prepare for Queen’s birthday celebrations
- Credit: Archant
Organisers are counting down the days to large-scale celebrations marking the Queen’s 90th birthday.
Residents from Newton Poppleford, Harpford, Southerton and Venn Ottery are being brought together for a packed weekend of events, aimed at honouring Britain’s longest-reigning monarch.
The party starts at 2.30pm next Saturday (June 11), with a free family fun day in and around Newton Poppleford Pavilion.
David Zirker, a member of the organising committee, said: “Our community days started with the jubilee and that was a massive success.
“We have a community day and we have had the Guy Fawkes. They have been very successful.”
You may also want to watch:
The committee has organised entertainment for all ages, including a royal hat competition with prizes for the winners in four age categories: pre-school, primary school, secondary school and adults.
There will also be popular stalls and events throughout the day, including a dog show, adult and child bouncy castle, tombola and maypole dancing.
- 1 Husband and wife team take over at White & Son Shoes
- 2 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 3 New women’s team created at Sidmouth Rugby Club
- 4 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 5 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 6 Men replicating ladies at Ottery Bowls Club
- 7 Latest news and results from Sidmouth Bowls
- 8 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 9 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 10 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
The afternoon session will end at 5pm for a short break before the evening entertainment.
Organisers have hired a large marquee in case of rain.
The fun will restart at 7pm with a ticketed barbecue and outside caterers providing a fish and chip supper and pancakes.
Guests will be entertained by the Magic Badger Band until the end of the celebrations at midnight.
On Sunday, St Luke’s Church will lead a special songs of praise service in honour of the monarch.
The service will start at 6pm in the marquee and feature music from the Exeter Salvation Army Band.
Mr Zirker added: “Everyone is invited - a fitting finale for the weekend of celebrations.”
Tickets cost £5, but are free for children aged 15 and under when accompanied by an adult.
To purchase a ticket, call Lorna on 01395 568125, Gill on 01395 568928 or drop in to the Cannon Inn.
Tickets must be purchased in advance as no admission will be allowed on the evening.