Roadworks continue to cause delays in Newton Poppleford
- Credit: Archant
Roadworks on the A3052 in Newton Poppleford continue to cause heavily delays.
The works on Station Road have been in place since last Thursday (January 10) as Wales and West Utilities trace and repair a gas escape.
It is understood the work is set to continue until tomorrow (January 16).
The traffic is being controlled by traffic lights but it is causing delays in both directions.
Jason Gale, Wales & West Utilities operational manager for Sidmouth, said: “We have been working in the Newton Poppleford area to repair a leak on a gas pipe running beneath Station Road. Our engineering team worked as safely and as quickly as possible and have now repaired the leak.
You may also want to watch:
“In agreement with Devon County Council and to keep the local community, road users and our colleagues safe while we worked, traffic lights were put in place along Newton Poppleford Bridge. These lights will need to remain in place while we give the new road surface time to set, but barring any unforeseen circumstances, we expect to remove the traffic lights and get things back to normal this evening.
“We appreciate the patience of local people while we’ve been working. It was important that we fixed this leak now to keep the gas flowing to homes and businesses in the area.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
“If anyone smells gas, thinks they have a gas leak, or suspects carbon monoxide poisoning, they should call us on 0800 111 999 and our engineers will be there to help, day or night.”