Newton Poppleford slimmer Marissa misses out on Slimming World national final
- Credit: Archant
A former diabetic has just missed on the national final of a weight-loss competition after dropping six dress sizes.
Marissa Unsworth finished in the top 12 of the Slimming World Woman of the Year regional competition after sharing her story with judges at the weekend.
The Newton Poppleford resident has lost five-and-a-half stone since joining the Sidmouth group 15 months ago.
She decided to lose weight after being diagnosed with type-two diabetes and wanted to act rather than accept the long term effects of living with the condition.
A recent visit to her doctor confirmed her sugar levels had dropped so low she was no longer considered diabetic.
You may also want to watch:
At the regional stage on Sunday, September 3, Marissa was one of 60 women chosen from the 291,000 Slimming World groups in the South West.
Marissa, who’s starting weight was nearly 14st 13lbs, said: “It was such an honour to share my story with those ladies, to see their transformations, to listen to the other inspirational stories was amazing, to finish in the final round is an incredible achievement.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
As part of her weight-loss, the mum-of-four has taken up weight lifting, boxing and running which has helped reduce the inches.
The 40-year-old said: “I was very nervous on my first evening, not knowing what to expect, not knowing if it would work for me, but as soon as I felt the impact of the group support and learnt how to change not only my food but that it would fit in with the family’s meals too, I knew it would be easier than I thought.”
Slimming World consultants Harriet Steptoe and Jon Borowik praised Marissa’s personal achievement.
Jon added: “To be able to support Marissa at the finals is a huge personal achievement for Marissa who is a fabulous member. In group, she is always helping support her fellow members, inspiring us all each week with her recipes, exercise tips and small weekly changes with a massive impact on her health.”