‘Nightmare’ design fails to get support of planners
A ‘nightmare’ house design meant planners were unable to support the application to build a new house in Sidmouth at their meeting on Wednesday.
Councillors found the new build on the land at Ashprington, on 5, Sidmount Gardens totally out of keeping with the area and intrusive to neighbouring properties.
They said it was overdeveloped and would result in a loss of trees.
A letter of objection read by the Sidmouth Town Council planning committee from neighbouring resident David Stone said it was a large, futuristic building.
He added: “The design is an ugly, out of place, attempt at an architect’s dream, but it is fact a nightmare to behold.”
You may also want to watch:
Another neighbour, Barbara Chittenden, said the building would have a detrimental effect on efforts to conserve the area. .
She added: “We are a grade II listed building and have to spend thousands of pounds to keep it in good repair.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
There were also objections on the grounds of access for cars and pedestrians and questions of the adequacy of drainage.
The owners of the land withdrew their previous application after similar letters of objection in July.
Resident Bruce Donelly said that the new plans did not take on board the objections to the previous application and they should be considered anew.
East Devon District Council planners will decide whether the plans go ahead later in the year.