No appeal against refusal of 9.3-acre business park outside Sidford
PUBLISHED: 12:30 13 April 2017
The six-month window to challenge the refusal of plans to build a 9.3-acre business park at Sidford has now closed – and no appeal has been lodged.
East Devon District Council (EDDC) said it is now up to the landowner to consider future options for the site off Two Bridges Road.
However, the wider 12-acre plot has a strategic allocation as employment land in the authority’s Local Plan, so EDDC expects the site will be developed by 2031, according to a spokeswoman.
EDDC refused plans for the major development in September.
Councillors said the proposed development would harm the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, depend on ‘unsuitable’ roads and impact on neighbours without adequate mitigation.
A petition to ‘say no’ to the business park attracted more than 1,100 signatures and 384 objections were lodged with EDDC.
The applicants had until last Monday, March 27, to appeal the refusal.
The Sid Vale Association was among the opponents.
Richard Thurlow, its conservation and planning committee chairman, said: “We were all delighted when the application was refused in September last year, but there was always the chance that the decision might be appealed.
“We can now feel relieved that this ‘Sword of Damocles’ has been lifted.
“However, the site still exists in the Local Plan as an ‘employment site’ and we must still be aware that other proposals might come forward – and we must be prepared to fight them if they do.”
The landowner and applicant were approached for comment.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.