Number of Covid-19 related deaths fall in Devon and Cornwall
- Credit: PA
The number of Covid-19 related deaths across Devon and Cornwall has fallen compared to last week’s figures.
The figures for week 23 relate to all deaths that occurred between May 30 and June 5 but were registered up to June 13.
Across the whole of Devon and Cornwall, there were 10 deaths where Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate, down from 11 in the previous seven days.
Four deaths were registered in Cornwall, with three in Plymouth, and one in Torbay, East Devon and Torridge. Exeter, North Devon, South Hams, Teignbridge, West Devon and the Isles of Scilly saw no deaths registered.
Five of the deaths occurred in hospitals with four in a care home, and one at home. Of the four care home deaths, two occurred in Plymouth, with one in Cornwall and one in East Devon.
You may also want to watch:
The Isles of Scilly has still yet to see a Covid-19 related death and Exeter, the South Hams and West Devon have now gone three weeks without a death, while Mid Devon, North Devon and Teignbridge have now two weeks without a death.
Previous weeks have seen 11, 15, 38, 44, 69, 84, 106, 88, 60, 16, and nine deaths registered.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
The figures show in which local authority the deceased’s usual place of residence was. For instance, if someone may have died in Derriford Hospital but lived in West Devon, while the death may have been registered in Plymouth, their death would be recorded in the mortality statistics for the ONS figures against West Devon.
Across the whole of Devon, the six deaths registered this week is the lowest figure since the week ending March 20, the first week in which a coronavirus related death was recorded.
In total, 552 deaths from coronavirus have been registered across Devon and Cornwall, with 293 in hospitals, 216 in care homes, 41 at home, and one in a hospice. Of the deaths, 203 have been registered in Cornwall, 86 in Plymouth, 58 in Torbay, 45 in East Devon, 38 in Exeter, 32 in Teignbridge, 26 in North Devon, 20 in Torridge, 16 in Mid Devon and West Devon, 12 in the South Hams, and none in the Isles of Scilly.