Oakdown named best in country at AA awards
- Credit: Archant
The owners of Sidmouth’s Oakdown holiday park have picked up a prestigious prize - the AA’s campsite of the year - ahead of 900 others.
It is the latest in a long list of awards that the Franks have picked up over the past 17 consecutive years.
The latest award also saw Oakdown awarded top marks for hygiene.
Alastair Franks said: “We are so happy and excited to be named the best campsite for 2015 by the AA.
“We are continually striving to better our park and offer high-quality amenities. To receive this level of recognition for our work is fantastic.
“We knew we had done well when we received an increase in points, but none of us was expecting to be named best site.
“It is a testament to the hard work of our family and all of our staff who help make Oakdown what it is. We’ve had another really busy year and we’re looking forward to see what 2015 will bring.”
- 1 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 2 Time to start preparing for potentially harsh winter
- 3 Heatwave may have caused latest Sidmouth cliff falls
- 4 Residents plagued by aggressive rogue traders
- 5 The last day of Sidmouth Folk Festival 2022
- 6 Post-lockdown images become public art on Sidmouth billboard
- 7 Closure confirmed for Sidmouth retirement home
- 8 Decision on Straitgate's appeal funding deferred
- 9 Could Devon councils be set for unitary shake up?
- 10 Donkey Sanctuary to host event during local food festival
The family has been running the campsite for more than 40 years and has developed a reputation for commitment to excellence in tourism.
The Franks are also keen to stay green and have been implementing renewable energy technologies since the 1990s.
Victorian reed beds naturally drain and dispose of grey water and solar panels produce more than 10,000kw of electricity a year.
The site features 150 pitches for touring caravans, motor homes and tents, plus 70 fully-appointed lodges.
And Oakdown’s ‘great location’ was seen by AA inspector Colin Church as a qualification in itself as ‘a superb place to stay at any time of the year’.