Olives galore at Newton Poppleford store
Olive Event offers range of olive tastings and talk at Busy Lizzie’s
NOVEMBER seems an odd month to be talking about growing olive trees, but that is just what Caradoc Doy and Liz Motler will be doing next Wednesday, November 17.
Caradoc, who has been growing olives from cuttings in Devon for the last 15 years, will be giving advice from Busy Lizzie’s Craft and Plant Shop, Newton Poppleford, on how to get the best from growing olives in this country.
“Many people are surprised to hear how hardy these trees really are and it should be emphasised that olives also grow in cold parts of Europe and even Western China,” he said.
“The oldest olive tree in the UK is now nearly 100 years old and fruits well in good summers.”
You may also want to watch:
Carodoc grows a variety of olive tree that he has named the Peace Olive.
From 2pm to 8pm, there will be a range of fine olives, olive oil and other olive edibles available to try and taste and in the craft shop.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
Liz will also be selling olive-related gifts, made by a number of local artists and crafts people.
She has many locally-produced items in the shop, and will have a display of colourful, contemporary pots and garden stoneware, made by Sue Bicks of Sueke Ceramics.
Liz said: “We work hard to support the talent we have locally, and the shop is an important place to show off their work as well as encourage the artists to produce items which are otherwise difficult to find.”
Busy Lizzie’s also runs crafting events to enable other to have a go at making something unique.