Olympian Jo Pavey to switch on Sidmouth’s new Christmas lights
- Credit: Archant
The ‘supermum’ will be signing copies of her book in Winstone’s bookshop
Sidmouth’s brand new set of Christmas lights will be switched on by Jo Pavey – a record-breaking five-time Olympian – tomorrow (Saturday).
Sidmouth Town Council sought out a new supplier for the lights after some expressed disappointment at the quality of last year’s display.
Town clerk Christopher Holland said: “This year sees a brand new lighting display, provided by experienced experts Torbay Lights.
“Since the end of the previous supplier’s contract, the town council and Torbay Lights have been working hard to ensure that the funding from the council shows off as much of the town as possible for the festive period.”
You may also want to watch:
‘Supermum’-of-two Jo ran at her fifth Olympic Games in Rio over the summer and tells her life story in a new book, This Mum Runs.
She will be signing copies at Winstone’s book shop at 4.30pm, when local band Beautiful Blue Mac will be kicking off the festivities in Market Place.
- 1 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 4 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 5 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 6 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 7 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 8 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
The long-distance runner will be flicking the switch at 5.30pm, when she will also draw the ‘golden ticket’ – a £100 voucher generously donated by Gliddons Toys.
Retired businessman Richard Eley has distributed thousands of tickets to Sid Valley schools but children must be at the event in person to be able to put their ticket stub into a hat to be drawn.