Olympic countdown under way in Sidmouth
Excitement grows for London 2012
A COUNTDOWN to the London 2012 Olympic Games is under way at a Sidmouth sports shop.
Ex-professional footballer Chris Hargreaves and business partner Charlotte Hollingshead have put an electronic counter on display at their High Street Sports Republic store in a bid to get the town, and schoolchildren, interested in the highly anticipated event.
Positioned in store, the countdown clock - switched on by Paul Walker, headteacher of soon-to-be-opened Sidmouth Church of England Primary School - will keep track of the days left until the London Games.
Chris Hargreaves said: “We wanted to do it as it’s something different, it’s quite fun and exciting.
You may also want to watch:
“The Olympics is such a big occasion it’s nice to do something to get involved.”
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 9 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again