Opinion: ‘We could buy beach huts for 10p-a-week’
- Credit: Archant
‘Some of us have never been able to afford one in Sidmouth’
Re the beach huts in Sidmouth. Can I say, as politely as I can, to those of you who feel they have been priced out of hiring a hut, that you do realise that there are some of us who have never been able to afford one!
But I do have solution. At the last census, there were nearly 13,000 people living in the town. So, between us, all of us, donating as little as 10pence-a-week, we could take over the huts - and their maintenance!
Then we could make them available, solely for the use of the disabled, the orphaned, people in hospices...and, dare I say it, the occasional rough sleeper in the winter.
So that’s done and dusted. Any more problems, just give us a bell!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98