Birthday celebration at Ottery garden centre for green-fingered Lionel
- Credit: Archant
A man has celebrated his 95th birthday at an Ottery St Mary garden centre in his first outing since the beginning of lockdown.
Keen gardener Lionel Smith has been a customer of the Otter Garden Centre for many years.
On his birthday, Tuesday, June 10, he travelled there from his home in Tiverton with his wife Barbara, and was joined by his daughter and son in law, Jenny and Tony Seculer, who had driven from Berkshire.
Staff had put out a red carpet, a banner and balloons for him, and he was presented with a birthday cake and a card signed by the centre’s founders, Marilyn and Malcolm White, and many members of the team.
Managing director Jacqui Taylor wished him a happy birthday, and he chose plants and garden essentials as his presents from his family.
You may also want to watch:
Tony Seculer said: “Lionel has such a love of gardening and passed that to Jenny, who took a degree in horticulture.
“When they got to selecting plants, it was like watching two children in a sweetshop.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary