Otter Rotarians to collect for earthquake victims
WITH more than 250 deaths now recorded after the Italian earthquake on Monday, Otter Valley Rotary Club will be collecting in aid of ShelterBox on Saturday at Potters Country Market, West Hill.
WITH more than 250 deaths now recorded after the Italian earthquake on Monday, Otter Valley Rotary Club will be collecting in aid of ShelterBox tomorrow (Saturday, April 11) at Potters Country Market, West Hill.
The first 50 ShelterBox tents have been erected in the village of Assergi, 20 kilometres from L'Aquila and close to the epicentre of the quake.
"The old part of the village was badly damaged and last night 200 people had to sleep out in the open," said ShelterBox Response Team member John Diksa (France).
UK SRT volunteers Nicola Jones and Andrew Biss drove through the night from Cornwall with 40 boxes for the village, arriving in Assergi on Wednesday evening.
You may also want to watch:
A further 200 boxes have been despatched from prepositioning in Birmingham and will be distributed in the L'Aquila area.
ShelterBox is working in Italy with local Rotarians and the Civil Protection Agency.
- 1 The strangest possible score in rugby
- 2 Be prepared! Plan for uncertain months ahead
- 3 Sidmouth drug dealer spared immediate jail sentence
- 4 Illuminations by the sea start Christmas in Sidmouth
- 5 Inside story on pub kitchens provides food for thought
- 6 Tories' approach to councillor checks could fuel hysteria
- 7 Sidmouth’s Antony Hall secures 2nd with 7+ hours of running
- 8 Stay positive and hope staycations are here to stay
- 9 So much to enjoy on our doorstep... despite the crowds
- 10 Archbishop of Canterbury to join Patteson celebrations
The Otter Valley Rotarians recently raised �500 for the Australian Fire Disaster victims.