Otter Rotarians to collect for earthquake victims
WITH more than 250 deaths now recorded after the Italian earthquake on Monday, Otter Valley Rotary Club will be collecting in aid of ShelterBox on Saturday at Potters Country Market, West Hill.
WITH more than 250 deaths now recorded after the Italian earthquake on Monday, Otter Valley Rotary Club will be collecting in aid of ShelterBox tomorrow (Saturday, April 11) at Potters Country Market, West Hill.
The first 50 ShelterBox tents have been erected in the village of Assergi, 20 kilometres from L'Aquila and close to the epicentre of the quake.
"The old part of the village was badly damaged and last night 200 people had to sleep out in the open," said ShelterBox Response Team member John Diksa (France).
UK SRT volunteers Nicola Jones and Andrew Biss drove through the night from Cornwall with 40 boxes for the village, arriving in Assergi on Wednesday evening.
A further 200 boxes have been despatched from prepositioning in Birmingham and will be distributed in the L'Aquila area.
ShelterBox is working in Italy with local Rotarians and the Civil Protection Agency.
- 1 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 2 Sidmouth Hospice at Home fulfils local man's final wish
- 3 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 4 British Heart Foundation shop in Sidmouth urgently seeking volunteers
- 5 School steps up safety at road crossing areas
- 6 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 7 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 8 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 9 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 10 Record level of police numbers will soon have a positive effect on our communities
The Otter Valley Rotarians recently raised �500 for the Australian Fire Disaster victims.