Ottermill redevelopment to start ‘within two to three months’
- Credit: Archant
Work at Ottery’s derelict factory site could begin this summer as the developer prepares to submit the final paperwork to East Devon District Council (EDDC).
EDDC planners said in February that they hoped the Ottermill Switchgear site would be delivered ‘within the next five years’ - but it emerged this week that a legal agreement preventing work from starting could be close to being finished.
The major redevelopment is scheduled to begin with the demolition of the post-war single storey factory extension, with the completed scheme providing a total of 100 homes including a conversion of the five-story Town Mill building in to apartments.
Mayor Glyn Dobson welcomed the news.
He said: “The rejuvenated mill will be an important landmark of our past, and the new homes to be built in and around the mill will be a unique place to live in the future.
You may also want to watch:
“I know that [the developer] wants to get work underway as soon as they can. They have told me that lawyers are drafting what everyone hopes will be the final legal agreement and that work could then start on site within two to three months.
“[The developer] has also told me he wants to create local job opportunities by using local trades’ people. I share his enthusiasm and I know that people in the town will feel likewise.”
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 4 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 5 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 6 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 7 New plan to build East Devon back better after the pandemic
- 8 Wednesday's Budget and how it might help those struggling in Devon this winter
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses