Ottery and Sidmouth kids uged to walk to school
SCHOOLCHILDREN and parents are being encouraged to get to know their neighbourhood on their journey to school as part of this year s Walk to School Week (May 17 to 21).
SCHOOLCHILDREN and parents are being encouraged to get to know their neighbourhood on their journey to school as part of this year's Walk to School Week (17 - 21 May).
The theme for this year's Walk to School Week is "Walk Your Way", emphasising the benefits of children learning their route to school to help promote independence and improve safety.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: "Walk to School Week provides a great opportunity for pupils and their parents to try all or part of their journey to school on foot. It doesn't matter if it's for a day or all week - they are still part of Walk to School Week. There are so many benefits to walking; it can help children gain an awareness of road safety, reduces congestion, improves health and saves money. Hopefully the week will encourage some people to take up walking more regularly."
As part of a special competition to mark the occasion, pupils will be encouraged to keep a log of their journey to school during the week, describing their local area and why they enjoy their walk to school.
You may also want to watch:
Entries have to be submitted by 31 May to Sustainable School Travel Team, Lucombe House, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QW or email firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be prizes of �10 book vouchers for the winners of each Year Group and �5 for runners up.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 9 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman