Ottery bogus caller warning
CON-artists posing as utility providers have been targeting Ottery homes with a spate of bogus calls, police have warned.
CON-artists posing as utility providers have been targeting Ottery homes with a spate of "bogus" calls, police have warned.
Residents have received telephone calls from strangers, purporting to be from BT, who have demanded bank card details to pay non-existent �75 debt, before threatening to cut-off home-owners' phone services.
PCSO Maria Clapp said the scam left one woman "on edge and upset" and has warned townsfolk to be vigilant and to never disclose card details over the phone.
She said: "We have also had a problem with door to door callers. An elderly woman recently had a call at her door from a man who offered to remove moss from her roof for �4,000.
You may also want to watch:
My advice for people calling at door is please be aware. Ask yourself do you know them? If not don't answer. The best thing to do with any salesman or anything odd is get second opinion.
- 1 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 2 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 3 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 4 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 5 Top books to inspire children to love nature this summer
- 6 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 7 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 8 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary