Ottery church services cancelled, but church remains ‘open, warm and welcoming’
- Credit: Simon Horn
All services at Ottery St Mary Parish Church have been suspended because of the coronavirus, in keeping with the guidance from the Church of England.
But the church remains open to anyone who feels a need to come in.
A spokesman for the church said this morning (Wednesday, March 18) that there will be no services at the church, or any other public gatherings there, until further notice.
But the spokesman said: “The church is open every day and we’re very happy for people to come in, sit and say a prayer, or light a candle for someone.
“We’re open, warm and welcoming, but we are asking people to keep their distance from one another, in keeping with the guidelines.”
You may also want to watch:
The church has already put systems in place to keep in contact with members of the congregation who are on their own.
Funerals will still take place, but will be scaled down and conducted according to the coronavirus guidelines.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 7 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 8 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 9 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start