Ottery church services cancelled, but church remains ‘open, warm and welcoming’
- Credit: Simon Horn
All services at Ottery St Mary Parish Church have been suspended because of the coronavirus, in keeping with the guidance from the Church of England.
But the church remains open to anyone who feels a need to come in.
A spokesman for the church said this morning (Wednesday, March 18) that there will be no services at the church, or any other public gatherings there, until further notice.
But the spokesman said: “The church is open every day and we’re very happy for people to come in, sit and say a prayer, or light a candle for someone.
“We’re open, warm and welcoming, but we are asking people to keep their distance from one another, in keeping with the guidelines.”
You may also want to watch:
The church has already put systems in place to keep in contact with members of the congregation who are on their own.
Funerals will still take place, but will be scaled down and conducted according to the coronavirus guidelines.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge