Ottery church set for 750th birthday bash
IT S Ottery s crowning glory, and townsfolk will wish the Parish Church a happy 750th birthday on Friday.
IT'S Ottery's crowning glory, and townsfolk will wish the Parish Church a happy 750th birthday on Friday.
The towering landmark celebrates 750 years of its existence on December 4, with a special, 'once in a lifetime' candle lit service presided over by the Bishop of Exeter, The Right Reverend Michael Langrish.
The service at 7.30pm will reflect on the church's past, celebrate its present role and look to the next 750 years.
"This service is for the Ottery community, along with anyone who has been or is associated with the church," said The Reverend Prebendary Simon Franklin. " A service by candle light is very special indeed, and this truly is a once-in-a-lifetime, celebration; one which, hopefully, everyone in Ottery will recall for years to come. Maybe even by future generations when they next come to celebrate in the year 2259."
You may also want to watch:
"It's an exciting time for the church as we look to the future to see how we can facilitate the needs of the present community from Christian worship, to community events and concerts. I believe Bishop Walter Bronescombe should be proud of his legacy and for creating a church which the people of Ottery look so fondly on."
Next Saturday, December 5, church ringers will be in action with a full peal of bells for more than three hours to mark the anniversary.
- 1 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 2 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 3 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 4 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 5 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 6 Good old-fashioned common sense is what's needed
- 7 Pre-season fun for a rugby player
- 8 Another record for Kirsteen
- 9 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 10 Hot! Hot! Hot! Haytor Heller
Celebrate the church's birthday in next Friday's Herald.