Ottery church set for 750th birthday bash
IT S Ottery s crowning glory, and townsfolk will wish the Parish Church a happy 750th birthday on Friday.
IT'S Ottery's crowning glory, and townsfolk will wish the Parish Church a happy 750th birthday on Friday.
The towering landmark celebrates 750 years of its existence on December 4, with a special, 'once in a lifetime' candle lit service presided over by the Bishop of Exeter, The Right Reverend Michael Langrish.
The service at 7.30pm will reflect on the church's past, celebrate its present role and look to the next 750 years.
"This service is for the Ottery community, along with anyone who has been or is associated with the church," said The Reverend Prebendary Simon Franklin. " A service by candle light is very special indeed, and this truly is a once-in-a-lifetime, celebration; one which, hopefully, everyone in Ottery will recall for years to come. Maybe even by future generations when they next come to celebrate in the year 2259."
"It's an exciting time for the church as we look to the future to see how we can facilitate the needs of the present community from Christian worship, to community events and concerts. I believe Bishop Walter Bronescombe should be proud of his legacy and for creating a church which the people of Ottery look so fondly on."
Next Saturday, December 5, church ringers will be in action with a full peal of bells for more than three hours to mark the anniversary.
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Waves of enthusiasm for Sidmouth Sea Fest
- 3 Fire service appoints former police sergeant as ambassador for road safety initiative
- 4 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 5 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 6 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 7 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 8 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 9 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 10 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
Celebrate the church's birthday in next Friday's Herald.