Ottery couple celebrate 60 years of marriage
THEY met on a blind date in the 1940 s, and married Ottery pensioners Eric and Joan Sobczyk celebrated 60 years as the best of friends on Saturday.
THEY met on a blind date in the 1940's, and married Ottery pensioners Eric and Joan Sobczyk celebrated 60 years as "the best of friends" on Saturday.
Slade Close couple Eric, 83, and Joan, 82, were delighted to receive a card from the Queen marking their diamond wedding anniversary, which they enjoyed with family.
German born Eric, a Second World War veteran who ended up as a prisoner of war in Bristol in 1946, taught himself English from a dictionary and by listening to the radio before he met Joan.
They married at Bristol Registrar Office on July 25, 1949, going on to have four children, six grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
Daughter Ruth said: "They have always enjoyed an active life, camping, walking and gardening, and are still the best of friends.
- 1 Church hosts first wedding since before lockdown
- 2 August celebrations at Manstone Lane – Home of the Vikings
- 3 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 4 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 5 Return to online meetings thanks to progressive alliance
- 6 Property of the Week: Wolversleigh Farm
- 7 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 8 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 9 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 10 Plea for collectors to support town's air show