Ottery couple celebrate 60 years of marriage
THEY met on a blind date in the 1940 s, and married Ottery pensioners Eric and Joan Sobczyk celebrated 60 years as the best of friends on Saturday.
THEY met on a blind date in the 1940's, and married Ottery pensioners Eric and Joan Sobczyk celebrated 60 years as "the best of friends" on Saturday.
Slade Close couple Eric, 83, and Joan, 82, were delighted to receive a card from the Queen marking their diamond wedding anniversary, which they enjoyed with family.
German born Eric, a Second World War veteran who ended up as a prisoner of war in Bristol in 1946, taught himself English from a dictionary and by listening to the radio before he met Joan.
They married at Bristol Registrar Office on July 25, 1949, going on to have four children, six grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
Daughter Ruth said: "They have always enjoyed an active life, camping, walking and gardening, and are still the best of friends.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman