Ottery couple celebrate 60 years of marriage
THEY met on a blind date in the 1940 s, and married Ottery pensioners Eric and Joan Sobczyk celebrated 60 years as the best of friends on Saturday.
THEY met on a blind date in the 1940's, and married Ottery pensioners Eric and Joan Sobczyk celebrated 60 years as "the best of friends" on Saturday.
Slade Close couple Eric, 83, and Joan, 82, were delighted to receive a card from the Queen marking their diamond wedding anniversary, which they enjoyed with family.
German born Eric, a Second World War veteran who ended up as a prisoner of war in Bristol in 1946, taught himself English from a dictionary and by listening to the radio before he met Joan.
They married at Bristol Registrar Office on July 25, 1949, going on to have four children, six grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
Daughter Ruth said: "They have always enjoyed an active life, camping, walking and gardening, and are still the best of friends.
- 1 Three injured in Sidmouth road accident
- 2 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 3 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 4 No choice but to charge entry for public toilets
- 5 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 6 Work underway to turn Connaught Gardens into a winter wonderland
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Met Office weather warning for wind in East Devon
- 9 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 10 Sidmouth cancer support group celebrates 20 years of 'giving friendship'