Ottery couple celebrate 70 years of marriage
A couple who are celebrating their platinum wedding anniversary say the secret to a long marriage is never sleep on an argument.
David and Irene Hayes have been married for 70 years this month, and claim to have never had a falling out.
The couple met during the Second World War, and brought up a family in Yorkshire before retiring to Ottery in 1986.
Irene, 89, grew up in a village outside Harrogate, Yorkshire, and was working at a factory in Guiseley in 1941 when she was asked by a colleague to accompany her on a double date.
There she met David, now 92, born in London but stationed in army barracks nearby.
You may also want to watch:
He had just turned 21, and Irene was 19, and the couple have been together ever since that very fist meeting.
They were married the following year, but David had to return to the army the day after, so they didn’t have a honeymoon until after the war.
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 5 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 6 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 7 Yellow weather warning for Devon
- 8 Let's have a jab at the protection racket as Covid debate continues
- 9 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
They moved to Westminster in 1946, but moved up north several years later where they brought up their two daughters, Pauline and Susan.
After moving to Ottery St Mary they were founder members of both the short mat and outdoor bowls club, and now have three grandchildren.
Speaking about their 70 years together, Irene said: “I don’t know where it has all gone.”
She said they believed if you had a disagreement you should never leave it until tomorrow.
The couple’s daughter Susan added: “They are so devoted to each other. They never argue, they just get on with each other.”