Ottery dead body shock
Man found after court no-show
AN OTTERY man was found dead in his living room hours after he failed to attend court to face disorderly behaviour charges.
Police discovered 61-year-old Paul Cleverton in his Cornhill home on Tuesday afternoon.
Officers suspect the body could have been in the property for days. They attended the address minutes after health workers voiced concern for Mr Cleverton’s welfare at 3.20pm. The incident is not being treated as suspicious.
Magistrates issued an arrest warrant for Mr Cleverton just hours before the discovery.
You may also want to watch:
He was due to appear at Central Devon Magistrates Court in Exeter on Tuesday morning to face public order offence allegations.
Mr Cleverton allegedly used threatening, abusive or insulting words or disorderly behaviour near a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress, in Ottery on Monday, August 9.
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 8 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 9 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
A police spokesperson said a 61-year-old man was found dead in the living room of a Cornhill property. He added officers were called by a health worker concerned for the man’s wellbeing, and that his next of kin had been informed.
An Exeter Coroner’s officer said a post-mortem was to be carried out today and subsequent proceedings depended on its outcome.