Ottery farm barn blaze
Firefighters race to dairy farm fire
FLAMES engulfed an Ottery barn last night (Wednesday)
Firefighters raced to Luxton’s Dairy at Barrack Farm at around 10pm and spent fourteen hours tackling and controlling an inferno that was still smouldering this afternoon. As many as three fire crews worked through the night using water jets and mechanical diggers to extinguish flames and control the blaze.
Crew manager Ben Redwood said at the scene yesterday morning it was believed hay in the barn overheated, and the fire was not suspicious.
He said firefighters had to act carefully when tackling flames over concerns there was a small amount of asbestos in the barn roof.
You may also want to watch:
Read more in tomorrow’s Ottery Herald.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon