Ottery farm barn blaze
Firefighters race to dairy farm fire
FLAMES engulfed an Ottery barn last night (Wednesday)
Firefighters raced to Luxton’s Dairy at Barrack Farm at around 10pm and spent fourteen hours tackling and controlling an inferno that was still smouldering this afternoon. As many as three fire crews worked through the night using water jets and mechanical diggers to extinguish flames and control the blaze.
Crew manager Ben Redwood said at the scene yesterday morning it was believed hay in the barn overheated, and the fire was not suspicious.
He said firefighters had to act carefully when tackling flames over concerns there was a small amount of asbestos in the barn roof.
You may also want to watch:
Read more in tomorrow’s Ottery Herald.
- 1 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 2 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 3 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 4 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 5 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 6 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 7 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 8 Top books to inspire children to love nature this summer
- 9 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
- 10 Beachgoers share moment of wonder