Ottery flat blaze sparks laptop warning

PUBLISHED: 11:49 13 October 2009 | UPDATED: 10:37 18 June 2010

AN Ottery St Mary flat-blaze has sparked a laptop warning from fire-fighters.

AN Ottery St Mary flat-blaze has sparked a laptop warning from fire-fighters.

A Mossop Close resident had to flee her flat in the early hours of last Wednesday after her laptop, which had been left to charge on her lounge floor, overheated and caught fire.

The flat's occupant was woken by a smoke alarm and managed to escape as fire-fighters donned breathing apparatus to tackle the fire.

A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue issued a warning to residents over laptops' fire-risk and said: "It is very important that laptops are always used on a hard surface, so that the cooling fan located underneath the lap top can control the temperature.

"If a lap top is used on a carpeted floor or on a bed or other soft furnishing, then the cooling fan inlet can easily become blocked and the device can rapidly overheat.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald