Ottery floods mentioned in House of Commons
A DEVON MP has spoken in the House of Commons of the appalling experience of flooding which she and others have suffered and which means that she will be out of her house until Easter. Angela Browning, MP for Tiverton and Honiton, she and neighbours hom
A DEVON MP has spoken in the House of Commons of the "appalling experience" of flooding which she and others have suffered and which means that she will be out of her house until Easter.
Angela Browning, MP for Tiverton and Honiton, she and neighbours homes have just been flooded for the second time in 11 years after the recent freak-weather storm that caused widespread disruption in Ottery St Mary and many surrounding villages.
The Tory MP revealed the trauma in the Commons with Environment Secretary Hilary Benn as she spoke about the issue of flooding in rural areas.
She told the Commons: "The Secretary of State will be aware that on October 30 Ottery St Mary and many surrounding villages in my constituency were flooded at 2am, with 4 in of rain coming down in an hour and 3ft of hail, which was still sitting there two days later.
You may also want to watch:
"My own home and those of my neighbours were flooded for the second time in 11 years. We all hope to be back in by Easter. It is the most appalling experience to go through."
She added: "May I ask the Secretary of State about flooding in rural areas?"
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 10 Lockdown has shown the importance of nature and the need for us to nurture each other
Mr Benn said: "I am sorry to hear about what she and her constituents have experienced.