Ottery Football Club hopes to net huge donation for charity with programme sales
- Credit: ©-Anthony Rowe L.R.P.S
Ottery Football Club is hoping to net a huge donation for Hospiscare by selling programmes at its home games.
Chairman Mike Ringer decided at the end of October to begin producing a programme for both the mens and ladies teams and donating all the proceeds to the charity.
The club invited Hospiscare to send a representative to collect donations on match days and to date have raised £110.
Mike said: “It means a lot to me, as well as a lot of others. We’re about being a community club and as long as we can make enough to keep it going we want to provide for local charities.
“Steve Pearcy has been here come wind, rain or shine standing on the gate collecting donations in exchange for a programme. There are over 20 plus fixtures at home, it is going to add up.”
You may also want to watch:
The charity also holds meetings and a monthly bingo club at the Butts Road clubhouse.
Steve Pearcy, who has stood on the gate collecting for the charity, said the collections have averaged between £20 and £30 a game.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 6 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 7 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 8 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
He said: “It has worked very well. Mike is very supportive. We hope to get a few more people coming out to watch both the men and ladies matches.”
Steve also thanked the club for its support by providing the clubhouse for the charity to hold its local group meeting and monthly bingo sessions.
Lianne Harding, Hospsicare Community Fundraiser said: “It’s such a great idea from Ottery Football Club, to produce a simple programme for home games to sell in aid of Hospiscare. Not only does it help to raise vital funds but it also acts as a reminder to local people attending the matches that Hospiscare are a local charity who need ongoing support. Not only are the football club raising money but they are also helping to raise awareness by including the Hospiscare logo on their kit. It’s fantastic to have this sort of community support so we are really grateful to the club for coming up with this idea.”