Ottery gets a pool!
- Credit: Archant
PARENT power has made a big splash for Ottery Primary School by netting it a new swimming pool.
Pupils are ‘loving’ the heated, 25-metre pool, which was co-funded by the school’s PTA which raised £4,000 - and it could be opened to the community.
The facility, with refurbished covered changing rooms, was built with ‘good will’ by a team of mums and dads.
“Our old pool – which we’d had for about 20 years – was cold, small and very unpleasant,” said a school spokesman.
“Through the good will of a couple of parents – one in particular who had expertise in that area – the old pool was removed.
You may also want to watch:
“A willing band of parents and helpers came in on Saturdays to remove the old pool and the new one was put in its place over the course of a year.
“The children are loving the pool. It’s delightful.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
“They’ve been in today when it’s been raining. It’s 28 degrees at the moment. We’re getting lots of use out of it.”
And it is not just the school’s pupils who may benefit.
“It’s the only pool in the town, so we may be able to open it up to the wider community,” said the spokesman.
“We’re hoping to be able to open it up in the summer holidays, so that local groups, such as the guides and the scouts, might be able to use the facilities.”