Ottery gets a pool!
- Credit: Archant
PARENT power has made a big splash for Ottery Primary School by netting it a new swimming pool.
Pupils are ‘loving’ the heated, 25-metre pool, which was co-funded by the school’s PTA which raised £4,000 - and it could be opened to the community.
The facility, with refurbished covered changing rooms, was built with ‘good will’ by a team of mums and dads.
“Our old pool – which we’d had for about 20 years – was cold, small and very unpleasant,” said a school spokesman.
“Through the good will of a couple of parents – one in particular who had expertise in that area – the old pool was removed.
You may also want to watch:
“A willing band of parents and helpers came in on Saturdays to remove the old pool and the new one was put in its place over the course of a year.
“The children are loving the pool. It’s delightful.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
“They’ve been in today when it’s been raining. It’s 28 degrees at the moment. We’re getting lots of use out of it.”
And it is not just the school’s pupils who may benefit.
“It’s the only pool in the town, so we may be able to open it up to the wider community,” said the spokesman.
“We’re hoping to be able to open it up in the summer holidays, so that local groups, such as the guides and the scouts, might be able to use the facilities.”