Ottery gets glimpse of 'Parish at War' this weekend
RESIDENTS can get a glimpse of The Parish at War this weekend as part of the Ottery Heritage Society s annual exhibition.
RESIDENTS can get a glimpse of 'The Parish at War' this weekend as part of the Ottery Heritage Society's annual exhibition.
The four-day event in The Institute, which opened yesterday, will take a look at Ottery's home front efforts, seventy years after the outbreak of the Second World War.
Heritage society chairman Robert Neal said: "Displays will reflect people's memories of those austere days, and the way Ottregians pulled together, fundraising for Spitfires,and supporting the fighting troops overseas.
"People have volunteered to be interviewed about their personal experiences, and the results have produced some fantastic displays for the exhibition. They have also been most generous with their photos and collections."
You may also want to watch:
Townsfolk have contributed keepsakes and collectables such as ration-books, gasmasks and petrol coupons to the exhibition.
Memories of evacuees, soldiers stationed at the town's factory and air-raid drills are also set to be shared.
- 1 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 2 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 3 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 4 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 5 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 6 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 7 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 8 Top books to inspire children to love nature this summer
- 9 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
A special feature, provided by the South West Airfields Association, will display a collection of wartime military uniforms from around the world.
The affects the Civil, Napoleonic and First World Wars had on Ottery will also feature.
The show will remain open from 10am to 5pm over the weekend until Monday afternoon. Entrance to the event is free.