Ottery gets glimpse of 'Parish at War' this weekend
RESIDENTS can get a glimpse of The Parish at War this weekend as part of the Ottery Heritage Society s annual exhibition.
RESIDENTS can get a glimpse of 'The Parish at War' this weekend as part of the Ottery Heritage Society's annual exhibition.
The four-day event in The Institute, which opened yesterday, will take a look at Ottery's home front efforts, seventy years after the outbreak of the Second World War.
Heritage society chairman Robert Neal said: "Displays will reflect people's memories of those austere days, and the way Ottregians pulled together, fundraising for Spitfires,and supporting the fighting troops overseas.
"People have volunteered to be interviewed about their personal experiences, and the results have produced some fantastic displays for the exhibition. They have also been most generous with their photos and collections."
You may also want to watch:
Townsfolk have contributed keepsakes and collectables such as ration-books, gasmasks and petrol coupons to the exhibition.
Memories of evacuees, soldiers stationed at the town's factory and air-raid drills are also set to be shared.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
A special feature, provided by the South West Airfields Association, will display a collection of wartime military uniforms from around the world.
The affects the Civil, Napoleonic and First World Wars had on Ottery will also feature.
The show will remain open from 10am to 5pm over the weekend until Monday afternoon. Entrance to the event is free.