Ottery brings in Christmas with festival and switch on
- Credit: Archant
Ottery has welcomed in the festive season with a Christmas tree festival and the illumination of this year’s lights.
Ottery’s beloved tourist information centre manager Phyllis Baxter was remembered as part of the Christmas tree festival.
Some 50 firs were decorated by organisations, associations and businesses as part of the four-day event, now in its eighth year.
Phyllis was also remembered by the organisers of Ottery’s Christmas lights who were determined to make the event the ‘best ever’ in her memory.
Josefina Gori, chairman of the Late-night Christmas Shopping steering group, said: “It could not have been any nicer and showed how beautiful the town is.”
You may also want to watch:
Father Christmas arrived to entertain the children and there was a torchlight procession from the church to the council offices where the gathered crowd watched the big switch-on.
Josefina also thanked the support from traders, volunteers, local groups and the public.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary