From Ottery to Old Trafford, David swaps the office for a day
- Credit: Archant
An Ottery football fan swapped the office for Old Trafford for a day after winning the opportunity through work.
David Grimshaw, managing director of EXE Mortgages, was selected by Virgin Money to play in its play on the pitch event at Manchester United’s famous ground.
The 40-year-old was the only player from Devon chosen after impressing a panel with his work as a volunteer coach for Feniton U15 youth football team and how coaching helped him achieve a balanced mental health.
He travelled up to play at the end of May where he was coached by professional players and legends Andy Cole and Denis Irwin.
David, from Feniton, said: “You think of how many professional players do not get the chance to play at Old Trafford, let alone somebody sat in an office in Ottery St Mary.
You may also want to watch:
“It was amazing to have the chance to wait in the tunnel at Old Trafford with the Champions League music blaring out and then to walk out on to the pitch.”
The day saw teams play two matches each and have the opportunity to look in the home and away changing room.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
The father-of-four said he thoroughly enjoyed the experience even though his team came third and he conceded a penalty.
He added: “I would have liked my team to have come first, but at the end of the day I was just delighted that Andy and Denis signed my shirt.”