Ottery on the 1840 map
OTTERY has been given an insight into how the area looked in 1840.
Pete Youngman, of the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, presented the town council with a copy of an 1840 Parishscapes Tithe Map on Monday.
The original map would have been between two and three metres square, and was created for tax purposes.
Pete said to the council: “If we can present this to you and you find somewhere to put it where the public will be able to see it, then, hopefully, people interested in the heritage of Ottery will see it and use it as a signpost.”
The AONB has been involved with Ottery projects including Tipton Mills’ hydroelectricity scheme and the farmers’ market.
You may also want to watch:
It co-ordinates the Sustainable Development Fund and Making It Local scheme, through which community organisations and businesses can apply for grants.
For more information visit www.eastdevonaonb.org.uk.
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 3 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 4 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 5 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 6 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 7 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity
- 8 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary
- 9 Important not to let celebrations get out of hand
- 10 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary