Ottery on the 1840 map
OTTERY has been given an insight into how the area looked in 1840.
Pete Youngman, of the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, presented the town council with a copy of an 1840 Parishscapes Tithe Map on Monday.
The original map would have been between two and three metres square, and was created for tax purposes.
Pete said to the council: “If we can present this to you and you find somewhere to put it where the public will be able to see it, then, hopefully, people interested in the heritage of Ottery will see it and use it as a signpost.”
The AONB has been involved with Ottery projects including Tipton Mills’ hydroelectricity scheme and the farmers’ market.
You may also want to watch:
It co-ordinates the Sustainable Development Fund and Making It Local scheme, through which community organisations and businesses can apply for grants.
For more information visit www.eastdevonaonb.org.uk.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 4 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 5 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 6 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Pianist set to delight audiences in 50th anniversary season
- 9 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 10 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching