Petanque club raises £510 for Hospiscare
- Credit: Archant
Pétanque players from across the South West have raised more than £500 for Hospiscare in an annual tournament in memory of former players.
Ottery St Mary Pétanque Club have for nearly 20 years held a competition to compete for the Mike and Josie Charity Shield in memory of Mike Walrond and Josie Thatcher.
The club chose Hospiscare as the charity supported Mike and Josie in their final days.
Some 20 teams from across Devon and Cornwall took part this year battled it out through three qualifying games to progress to either the knock out or plate.
Keith Tizzard and Paul Puddicombe reached the final of the plate competition but lost out by one point.
You may also want to watch:
Club chairman John Thatcher said: “Entry fees, a raffle and donations from those who could not make it on the day raised £510, which will be passed on to Hospiscare in grateful thanks for all they do to help those in their greatest need of dignity and comfort.”
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon