Ottery businesses become plastic free
- Credit: Archant
Cafes and shops in Ottery that have ditched plastic have been awarded by an anti-plastic group.
To earn the award from Plastic Free Ottery, each business had to show that they stopped using at least three items of single-use plastic in favour of sustainable alternatives.
The five businesses that earned the award were Tickey Boo, Samosa Lady, Crusty Cob, Coldharbour Farm Shop and Silver Otter.
The awards are given by the group as part of Surfers Against Sewage’s initiative Plastic Free Communities.
A spokesman for Plastic Free Ottery said: “There is huge enthusiasm for reducing single-use plastic amongst Ottery businesses.
You may also want to watch:
“This sort of grass roots support is essential in influencing the major culprits, such as supermarkets, to change their ways.
“We’ll continue working with local traders to help more to gain their plastic free certification in the coming months.”
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip