Ottery prepares to sprinkle Disney magic on late-night shopping and Christmas lights switch-on
- Credit: Archant
Disney magic will be spreading across the streets of Ottery as the town switches its Christmas lights on for the first time on Friday.
Crowds are expected to pack into the town for the Disney-themed late night shopping event, which will begin from 4pm when the Gliddons steam traction engine rolls into the town square.
Youngsters can also have their face painted and visit the balloon man as part of the evening’s entertainment and also meet Father Christmas when he arrives in his sleigh during the night.
Residents of all ages are being encouraged to dress up as their favourite characters and head to the parish church at 5.45pm to be part of the torchlight procession which commences 15 minutes later.
The procession will make its way down to the council offices where the switch-on will take place led by the Carnival Queen and princesses.
You may also want to watch:
Shops will remain open until 8pm and visitors will also be able to browse round a variety of stalls.
Organisers have also launched a competition to find 35 dalmatian puppies in shops around the town. Participants can pick up entry forms at Abbott’s, Seasons or the bookshop and have until December 22 to track them all down.
- 1 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 2 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 3 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 4 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 5 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 6 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 7 Peninsula League season could be over
- 8 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
- 9 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 10 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year