Ottery Primary School shut for rest of the week after ‘significant blockage’ in pipes
- Credit: Archant
Urgent works to stop a ‘significant blockage’ has resulted in Ottery Primary School and Busy Otters pre-school closing for the rest of the week.
The school said due to circumstances beyond their control it will be shut for the next three days as there would be no access to running water.
South West Water and an independent drain company have carried out investigative works and found the blockage to pipes has been caused by tree roots.
The school website said: “Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are having to take the regrettable decision to close the school for the remainder of this week.
“The reason for this closure is that, following extensive investigative work by an independent drain company and South West Water, a significant blockage and potential damage to pipes caused by tree roots needs immediate attention.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been advised, due to potential health risks caused by raw sewage, that the only realistic option is to close the school.
“Unfortunately none of the remedial work can be undertaken when there is any running water in the system which means that for the next three days the school cannot use toilet facilities or any running water. Unfortunately, owing to the fact that we use the same drainage pipes, this will also affect provision at Busy Otters which will regrettably need to shut.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
More to follow.