Ottery residents 'devastated' over Convent decision turnaround
RESIDENTS have been left devastated and disgusted by a Planning Inspectorate decision to give the go-ahead to plans to transform the grounds of Ottery s Marist Convent.
RESIDENTS have been left "devastated" and "disgusted" by a Planning Inspectorate decision to give the go-ahead to plans to transform the grounds of Ottery's Marist Convent.
Franklea Close homeowners long battled the plans over fears the development would "imprison" their properties, and had access, traffic and land stability concerns.
Elation following the bid's refusal by EDDC last November this week plumbed to the depth of despair as the decision was reversed following an appeal.
Linda White said last year her family's Franklea Close home of 30 years would be "imprisoned" by the development.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs White told the Herald on Wednesday she feared for the value of her home and said she was "extremely disappointed," adding: "We can't appeal."
Another resident, who did not want to be named, said of the ruling: "It stinks.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
"It's devastating, not only for residents, but democracy. The small man has no voice at all.
"This is a future too many for Ottery."
Anne Anning said she was "disgusted". Husband George added: "We fear we will lose most of our view, that doesn't seem to come into the equation.
"It seems you just can't stop the development. We thought EDDC had put a block on it and that was that. We were wrong."
A spokesman for developer Sea Valley Properties Lts said the firm was pleased with the reversal, and the Planning Inspectorate recognised it had addressed residents' concerns.