Ottery restaurant reopens thanks to family effort
It’s a family affair as Normandy House opens its doors for business once again this weekend.
The Pegler family, who bought the grade two listed Georgian townhouse on Cornhill in January, are reopening as a restaurant tonight after it was closed to become a private property.
Husband and wife team James, 50, and Karen, 48, ran a food business in Gloucestershire for several years, but when they visited the former Ottery wine bar and restaurant they knew they wanted to reopen it.
The couple will be ably assisted by son Nick, 25, and daughter Robyn, 23, working as bar manger and chef respectively. Nick had trained as a chef but had been working as a builder for three years before being drawn back by the family business, and Robyn, who has been working as a chef in a hotel, said it wasn’t difficult to make the decision to join her mum in the kitchen at Normandy House
They have invited local traders along to the opening tonight, along with the other business nearby to say thank you for putting up with the scaffolding on the street for the past few months. James said there was more work than they had expected, with water pouring through the roof when they arrived, but are confident they are ready for this weekend
You may also want to watch:
Karen said: “The aim was always to be open for Easter, but it does mean our first Sunday lunch will be Easter Sunday which is a bit scary.”
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight